Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eu moro no Brasil agora.

Today marks one month of living in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Yes, I had all the preconceived notions as well: Is it safe to eat the food and drink the water? Will I live in a shanty on the side of a hill? Will I be safe???
In fact, when Derrick was first asked to travel to Brazil for his job about three years ago, he was handed a sheet of paper of the numerous amounts of things he should not eat or drink (not to mention the shots he needed to get!) The list was forever long and we ultimately thought he would starve to death. That is, if he wasn’t run over by a speeding taxi here first. So, we went out for a big (read, expensive) Japanese dinner the night before he left. Come to find out, the food here in Porto Alegre is some of the best (if not THE best) I have ever had. One of the most common cuisines is, in fact, Japanese. More to come on the very delicious food of Porto Alegre in further posts!
What I’d really like to know is, what do you think of Brazil? What are the preconceived notions you would have about visiting or living here. Why? Because, 1) I am sure I had the same thoughts as you did and 2) because, though I’ve only lived here for a month, I’ve been proven wrong on many occasions by this vibrant city and the people who live here. I’d love to give you a glimpse of my new world and the experiences I have while I am lucky enough to experience it. 
Until next time, check out this video from the Porto Alegre department of Tourism. It’s a bit long, but really gives a good glimpse into the city of Porto Alegre. (Thanks, Amber for putting this on her Facebook page!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3x3jPzWUI&feature=share
Tchau!
-Ashley

3 comments:

  1. Parabéns Ashley! You're doing it! I look forward to your impressions, as well as our future visits (whether in "Sampa" or POA)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Ashley! I'm so glad you're blogging. In fact, I'm slightly envious that you have a new exciting blog while ours collects dust in cyber space! Great to see how happy your are seems like you're really having fun adjusting!

    I soooo get you on preconceived notions. In fact, sometimes it makes me sad when I get comments like, "Why in god's name would you want to live there!?" When Shelby, John and Tyler visited earlier this year the flight agent in DSM asked where they were going. When they responded, she replied with "I'm sorry!" I guess people just have to visit to realize how special a place can become to you, for excellent reason too! Little do people realize just how wonderfully many people in the world (even 3rd world Mexico)live!

    Keep enjoying your time (and fresh sushi)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it girlie! My only preconceived notion is that Brazil has really big bugs and snakes...gross! Anyway, Can't wait to come and visit!

    Em

    ReplyDelete